What is bulletproof coffee?
In simple words – Coffee + Butter/ Ghee + Oil. These are the components you need to make an energy packed high performing beverage. Oh! And a blender because stirring won’t justttt do it. Swap this for breakfast and trust me it will keep you satiated and energised for hours curbing all your cravings and leaving you super productive!
My inspiration behind drinking this coffee.
My attachment to Silicon Valley’s fast paced life, and Dave Asprey’s discovery of a yak- butter tea he tasted in Tibet led me to incorporate bulletproof coffee in my life. I read his book The Bulletproof Diet ( 2014) a year ago and haven’t looked back since then. It was so relatable to me and I instantly clicked with Dave you know like those instant connections you have with someone yes! that! And everything he talks about in the book was all the answers I was looking for in my health journey.
Drinking bulletproof coffee for breakfast made perfect sense to me and it was a great fit with my Intermittent fasting lifestyle. It also goes without saying it is DELICIOUS! And also fuels your mind with quality fats to keep you mentally sharp, and give you hours of stable energy by feeling your best and I thought why not?!
So What are the ingredients?
Please be mindful of the quality of these ingredients because just like the food you eat the quality of the coffee beans and these fats matter!
- Freshly brewed coffee – make sure the beans are of high quality and free from all mold toxins. Preferably Arabica of single origin.
- 1-2 tbs of MCT oil – Medium-chain triglycerides ( MCT ) is a type of saturated fat. It is naturally found in coconut oil. But in order to get the pure form of MCT you would need to refine the coconut oil, remove all the other components from it, and concentrate the MCT’s. This ingredient is not available in Nepal therefore, I use raw virgin coconut oil in my coffee which naturally has 42% of MCT’s. Start with one tbs and move your way up depending on your body.
- 1-2 tbs of high quality grass – fed butter (Unsalted) – I get mine from a dairy. Start with one and move your way up depending on your body.
Here’s how to make your bulletproof coffee.
- Brew 1 cup ( 8-12 ounces) of coffee ( fresh ground beans) using filtered water.
- Add 1-2 tbs of butter. If you don’t want lactose from the butter you can also use pure ghee.
- Add 1 – 2 tbs of raw virgin coconut oil, if you can find MCT even better into the mix.
- Blend! For 30 sec until it’s foamy just like a latte.
- If you’re not a coffee drinker, blend it into your green or black tea.
- Do not get all creative and start adding dairy, sweeteners, sugar, whey protein, nut milks and all that jazz into your coffee.
- Bulletproof coffee doesn’t break your fast if you’re someone who practices intermittent fasting because it doesn’t take you out of ketosis like a protein or carb meal will do. In fact, it will help you extend your fasting window!
- Do not fear the calorie count or fat in your bulletproof coffee; it is only doing you more good than harm.
Here’s My Eating Habit post.